Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 21:38 +1000, Michael Gratton wrote:

After deliberately setting out to make the project more inclusive,
Python has reversed a five-year-long trend of declining number of
core
devs and it has been increasing ever since. They have for example,
in
the last three years gone from having 0 to 4 women who are core devs.

They have also been successful in getting other projects to use more
inclusive language. For example, MongoDB initially refused to stop
using the term "master", but then relented after Python did so.
GNOME
could be in a similar position of leadership here, since it's pretty
clear /someone/ needs to be the first to do the right thing to get
others moving as well.

To make a counterpoint: The GNOME Foundation straight up hired women to
hold positions of leadership, and I don’t remember seeing a big effort
to become inclusive. Rather, there was “just” someone generous enough
to donate big money that allowed to get people onboard and pay them for
their time.

I still, however, see what we’re doing right now as moral grandstanding
that is rather disconnected from the people in the community.