Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 13:16, Ernestas Kulik <ernestask gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 21:08 +1000, Michael Gratton wrote:
 In the end, as the experience Python has had clearly shows, we will
 gain much, much more by being inclusive than we lose by entertaining
 a small minority who would rather we aren't.

Excuse me if I missed this, but can you elaborate on what has clearly
been shown?

After deliberately setting out to make the project more inclusive, Python has reversed a five-year-long trend of declining number of core devs and it has been increasing ever since. They have for example, in the last three years gone from having 0 to 4 women who are core devs.

They have also been successful in getting other projects to use more inclusive language. For example, MongoDB initially refused to stop using the term "master", but then relented after Python did so. GNOME could be in a similar position of leadership here, since it's pretty clear /someone/ needs to be the first to do the right thing to get others moving as well.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>