Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

Hi Günther,

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 14:16, Günther Wagner <info gunibert de> wrote:
i read this list with interest because its a controversial topic. What
i want to know: lets take the approach and rename all master-branches
to something different. Anyone thought about that this will lead to
more usage of master than it is used now? People will come up in
IRC and will ask where is the master branch. And you have to discuss
this probably with every newcomer that we changed it because master
is not inclusive enough. And then you have to discuss the same topic
with every newcomer exactly like it is discussed here.

Good point. I'd suggest though if we don't make this change then we will be using the term forever, however if we do make this change then use of it will decline over time, both as people get used to it and as word spreads.

Further, tools like Gitlab make it obvious what the mainline branch is called (it shows up with a badge labelling it as "default") and is automatically chosen when appropriate, e.g. when creating a merge request. So for newcomers it will be more a case of them just learning what a different name from the get-go.

Cheers,
//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.