Replacing "master" reference in git branch names (was Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules)

On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 10:08 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 6:08 AM, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
This has already been covered in the original proposal under
objection (1) "It doesn't matter". As has already been discussed,
what actually doesn't matter is what you or I think, it is the
people
who have been affected by the language we use that matter. These
are
the people who won't contribute to GNOME because of these terms,
and
it is the project that loses out in the end.

You've yet to provide any evidence for this. We're asking for
evidence
because it is *extremely* difficult to believe. You're losing us
here.

To address some of your points directly however, this censorship
in
as much as the CoC is censorship, and as much as you already
self-censor when choosing names for things in projects you
participate in. That is to say, not actually censorship at all. In
fact, you can see this proposal as simply aiming to extend the CoC
our documentation, API, and development infrastructure.

Michael, the events CoC is a reasonable CoC written by reasonable
people designed to ensure we treat each other reasonably well. It
has
broad support -- perhaps not universal, but at least pretty broad --
from the GNOME community because we mostly all agree it is
reasonable.

Our code of conduct isn't a direct descendant of the contributor
covenant, but it's still widely used in our community, including the
Linux kernel:
https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/blob/release/static/adopters.csv
and its master branch name was changed:
https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/569#issuecomment-424896149

I quote so you don't have to read the issue that's of similar tone to
this thread:
"
The main branch is now called 'release'. Thank you for pointing this
out. (And I wish that GIthub would make something like this the
default.)
"

What you're proposing is not reasonable. It's really not. There's no
way you're going to convince the community that we should avoid
commonly-used words that are generally considered inoffensive, just
because a small minority might feel otherwise

Re-read this sentence a bunch of times, it's pretty much the opposite
of what our community stands for. Offensiveness isn't a popularity
contest.

 (which, in this case, is
hard to believe, but I suppose people are not always reasonable).

This is uncalled for.

If you want to help make the GNOME community more inclusive in a
more
productive way, you could, for example, work on generalizing the
events
CoC to apply to all GNOME community interactions, like this mailing
list, rather than just specific in-person events. I would suspect
that
would have broad support.

That's already being worked though, isn't it? I don't see why we can't
work on both.