Re: wxWindows and GNOME

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 01:53:23PM -0400, allbery@ece.cmu.edu wrote:
> I will add that the glibc folks have heard the "you ought to support
> `http://...'" thing before, and it still doesn't.  It's pretty clear
> that you can forget that idea as well.

Well, not that it makes any difference.

1) Using network as a filesystem with the standard API has a big
disadvantage. The API is blocking, therefore your application can't do
anything until it's done reading the file, or whatever. That's bad. So it's
not really something you wanna just throw behind the current API, that's
great for reading files where there is no lag.

2) there was/is some hack to use the shared lib loader to replace the
standard calls of any libc with the vfs ones. So this can be used to fix old
apps.

However, we really do want a nice high level asynchronius API, which is
exactly what gnome-vfs is. Not to mention that it can do a whole bunch of
things in the background for you so that apps do behave sanely and
consistently.

So no we can't fix 4000+ apps, we don't really care to or need to. All gnome
apps should use gnome-vfs in the future sometime. Non-gnome apps can 1) use
gnome-vfs anyway, 2) use some other vfs lib, 3) or not use any vfs. It's not
really a problem. Just like I don't expect the a wordprocessor to read email,
I don't expect less to fetch a web page.

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: