Re: Remote X-windows (was slow remote X windows)

"Daniel M. German" <dmgerman@acm.org> writes:
> * Which  raises an interesting question, does GNOME assume that the
>   home directory of two different GNOME apps running in the same X
>   server is the same?

It doesn't, but if you run the control center from home directory A,
how is it going to modify your settings in home directory B?  It could
change the theme for currently running apps on your current display
for directory B, but how do you then make that theme change
persistent? There's no disk space on a display, only in home
directories.

You need some kind of shared persistent storage. Right now, that can
only be a home directory. When we adopt GConf more widely, you'll
maybe be able to use something like LDAP.

Havoc