Re: Gnome is not easy to use in 800x600

Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:

> Sk, Rgs 03, 2000 at 05:06:23 +0200 Frank Felfe wrote:
> > I tried this, when the remember-window-position feature came up. There
> > were some problems like file dialogs having the same size like their
> > parents and windows showing up on virtual desktops other than the current
> > one. I don't think, that the window manager is able to manage default
> > sizes since he has very few information about the windows.
>
> This is because not all applications behave well. An app should set wmclass,
> and parent to all its transient windows. If it does not, window manager
> cannot correctly handle that window. If two dialogs of the same app have
> exactly the same wmclass, they appear to wm like they are only one. If
> bigger one comes first, wm remembers its size. After that you get a short
> message in a big window...

Anyway it wouldn't solve the problem at all. People want their gnome-app to
remember its position/dimension. If people change the WM then they still want
their app to know its default position/dimension. The default
position/dimension must be the same whatever WM you use.
Actually it's the deafult position of the app and not the default position of
the WM. From a logical view default positions/dimensions can only be managed
correctly by the api which generates the window (gnome something).

> So, fix the apps, not the window manager... Anyway, it would be too hard for
> an app to manage all it's windows sizes and locations -- easier to set a
> proper wmclass.

Hmmmm..? If an incomming email causes you email client to erase you entire HD,
would you say the incomming email has to be fixed or would you say its the
email clients fault  ????

My point is that you cannot assure that every app sets wmclass. If the WM wants
to take over the task of managing default stuff then he must take the
responibility too, i.e. the WM must make sure, that he doesn't mess around with
window sizes/positions (wmclass set or not).

FF