Re: new file selector dialog?

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 06:28, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 23:30, David Moles wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't call it completely unusable, though I will admit it makes me
> > cringe. Is there any agreement on just what's broken and just what needs
> > to be fixed, though?
>
> I know I'm repeating myself, but simply adding a help button that calls
> up the basics of intended use of the file selector (tab completion, wild
> cards) would go a looooong way to make it generally usable. It /does/
> work great when you know how to use it

Ya, that would help for a lot of people.  But not everyone.  I deal with
people all day that just, quite simply, don't know how to use a
computer, and don't really want to learn.  They're not going to even try
the help button.  The first thing they'll do is call us up, and if we
don't/can't help them, they give up.

These are the same people that don't know what their usernames are,
despite the fact that they use them every day.  They just know that,
when the computer turns on, in the first entry box they put "username",
in the second they put "password."  You try to explain what their
username is to them, and it goes in one ear and right out the other.

If GNOME doesn't deal with idiots, it'll never make it in the home or
the true corporate desktop.  Sad fact, but I've found it to be true.