Re: GNOME "Save as" dialog - defective by design

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 02:49 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 01:55 +0100, Iain * wrote:
> > On 3/28/07, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
> > >
> > > We could do what RISC OS did, and have "save" just present you with an
> > > icon that you can drop into a file browser wherever you choose. That way
> > > we really can just use the file browser.
> > >

> > Now *that* is an original idea...I wonder why no-one has ever thought
> > of it before
>
> I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, ironic or just funny... :P
>
> In all seriousness, why not? The Tango Window Experiments[1] practically
> did this, and everybody loves that. [2]

I think this is a very good idea. It aligns well with the notion that
apps should always be creating and saving documents for the user
automatically. When the user is ready to "keep" the document, he moves
it to where he can remember it should be. But the act of naming is now
divorced from saving--wouldn't we be replacing the Save As dialog with a
Name dialog?

> [1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Window_Experiments
> [2] http://wildassumptions.org/

sinzui is verizon net