Re: GNOME "Save as" dialog - defective by design

On 3/29/07, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, ironic or just funny... :P

I suggest you look up the meaning of these three words then...

In all seriousness, why not? The Tango Window Experiments[1] practically
did this, and everybody loves that. [2]

These are not "experiments". Nothing was tested.
Until there are tests these "experiments" are worthless.

reasons off the top of my head:
* Dragging is difficult for some
* The mental switching from documentation to application mode seems
distracting, at least to me.
* If we dream of a document based desktop, then why do I need to
think, "Hmm, where's my file manager gone" when I want to save the
document?

But none of these (bar the first) is backed by user testing. So user
test it (on the class of users that GNOME is targetting), then come
back to us.

iain