Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Jun 5, 2008, at 14:02 , Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 13:43 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
On Jun 5, 2008, at 13:21 , Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:59 +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:

[snip]

I hope you'll pardon me the following paternalistic advice, but I
believe that it would be good for you to cut down on some of the
zealotry when defending a pet project. If you honestly acknowledge
the
areas in which GLib is weaker, that will be put to your credit. But
continuing to claim that the earth is flat despite all evidence to
the
contrary is rather unproductive.

I don't appreciate your language, and others don't either.  See:

  http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct

If you can't discuss decently and on a technical ground without
offering
unsolicited personal advice, you may as well leave this list.  Take
this
as second notice.

Freedom of speech anyone? So, on gtk-devel-list one may not say
what he believes is true after he ordered to believe otherwise,
or did I misinterpret it? Good luck with that guys.

I don't mind decent technical discussion, nor does anyone else does.
This is what CodeOfConduct says:

  Be respectful and considerate:
      * Disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour or personal
        attacks. Remember that a community where people feel
        uncomfortable is not a productive one.

It also says this: "There is no official enforcement of these principles,
and this should not be interpreted like a legal document. "

I guess it should be corrected.

Pretty please no strawman, I do not say you should violate the code
of conduct or whatever. It's nice if everybody is nice and fluffy,
yes. But there are also people who are pissed off (that happens),
or tired, or people who are simply not unreasonably happy with
what's going on in gtk (that happens too, not everybody is so excited
about GSEAL business). If you talk to those people, do it without
"shut up this is the second notice" stuff. Or don't talk to them
at all.

Say, this Gtk-3.0 idea sucks. It brings nothing to application
developers, yet application developers will be effectively forced
to migrate to avoid problems. You are doing a disservice to
application developers with this. It's a road to 4.0? Give me
a break, canvas can be done now, and Undo in text widget doesn't
need disabled deprecated API either. Thing is, nobody wants to
do boring stuff, everybody wants to do exciting new stuff. Like
writing a new programming language or mangling structure member
names.
Now what, do I get kicked out off the list? (Well, you can't
do that)

I do not want to receive comments like this one from strangers on any
mailing lists I'm on:

================
I hope you'll pardon me the following paternalistic advice, but I
believe that it would be good for you to cut down on some of the
zealotry when defending a pet project. If you honestly acknowledge
the
areas in which GLib is weaker, that will be put to your credit. But
continuing to claim that the earth is flat despite all evidence to
the
contrary is rather unproductive.

That's all.

And no, no one promised you freedom of speech on GNOME lists.

QED.

Yevgen