Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 14:35 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> Say, this Gtk-3.0 idea sucks. It brings nothing to application
> developers, yet application developers will be effectively forced
> to migrate to avoid problems. You are doing a disservice to
> application developers with this. It's a road to 4.0? Give me
> a break, canvas can be done now, and Undo in text widget doesn't
> need disabled deprecated API either. Thing is, nobody wants to
> do boring stuff, everybody wants to do exciting new stuff. Like
> writing a new programming language or mangling structure member
> names.
> Now what, do I get kicked out off the list? (Well, you can't
> do that)

I am not a GTk+ maintainer but I must say I do not agree with you at
all.  We can for sure make a Canvas widghet today but will it be future
safe? Should we start implement that Canvas widget if for example were
not sure if Gtk core should go OpenGL (via Clutter whatever...)  and add
animation support etc...?

Sometime refactoring/deprecation is the only way to go.

Gtk+ cannot be 10 years backward compatible because some app developers
dont like it. That way we never can go forward.

Gtk+ is already kind of old. If we dont break API (and removes
deprecated stuff) the toolkit will for sure die.

I already know lots of linux friends that had leaved gnome in favor of
KDE. Just because there is problem with the gnome and some of them is
for sure related to Core Gtk+/gnomeUI and so on.

If we dont remove deprecated stuff the librarys get bigger and bigger
and at the end Gnome dies too...

Regards

Mikael Hermansson