Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

Having read the discussion, i just wanted to add that while i fully understand that this is a critical time for Gtk+, and the current Gtk+ 3.0 plan is a mission critical plan, and so all Gtk+ developers just want to be out and through with it, you shouldn't overlook that there are many _many_ people _interested_ in Gtk+, especially future development,  but there just wasn't any real chance to speak up so far. All that they are doing is taking the chance.

Even though it might be somewhat distracting (for example, i can see that Jean-Yves post might be seen as offtopic, but anyway i agree with him), please just see it as interest in Gtk+ and future development. Aside from some bad lanaguage that has been used by, there was no harm done by those inquiring about other changes for which they see or surmise that Gtk+ 3.0 would be a good target for. There has also been some, while not constructive, also not totally destructive criticism of the entire GSEAL business, which is quite on topic.

Milosz

Am 5. Juni 2008 23:00 schrieb Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort brutele be>:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 20:54:31 +0100
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 14:35 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
>
> >  I do not say you should violate the code
> > of conduct or whatever. It's nice if everybody is nice and fluffy,
> > yes. But there are also people who are pissed off (that happens),
> > or tired,
>
> they should not write to gtk-devel-list, then, and instead cool off a
> bit.
>
> >  You are doing a disservice to
> > application developers with this.
>
> actually, no. because it provides a clear migration path towards a less
> crud-encumbered library.
>
> >  It's a road to 4.0? Give me
> > a break, canvas can be done now,
>
> no, it can't. seriously. unless a half-arsed solution can be called
> "done now".
>
> >  and Undo in text widget doesn't
> > need disabled deprecated API either.
>
> yes, because all gtk+ does is revolving around you and your little pet
> project.
>
> >  Thing is, nobody wants to
> > do boring stuff,
>
> and suprise! that's why we are in the situation we are now.
>
> > Now what, do I get kicked out off the list? (Well, you can't
> > do that)
>
> no, you won't be kicked out - even though Behdad can do that; but as far
> as I'm concerned, you can go fuck yourself; you and your asshat
> attitude.
>
> +++
>
> for this thread I removed myself from the Code of Conduct, which is
> obviously useless with poisonous people like you or the QT homeboy on
> this thread.
>
> not only that, I'm also unsubscribing gtk-devel-list because I quite
> sick and tired of people hijacking development discussions on gtk+ with
> their own personal little agenda.

Typical.

Look at what you did, Yevgen Muntyan. Not only you're an evildoer and
a hijacker who wants a canvas widget, but because you're so cruel, you
made the little Emmanuele cry and leave. You will now be sent to hell
and allowed to burn there for eternity.

Emmanuele, don't be scared any longer. You can come back now, the
villain who made you cry has been expelled.

Seriously. I don't want to address the trivialities of your message
(everyone fights with its own means and limitations). I shall just
note that if you no longer want external input to "hijack" your
development discussions, you should probably have these discussions
take place on a private list, only accessible by GTK+ developers.

This way, you'll be able to discuss field mangling and other fantastic
innovations between yourselves, without anybody ever interfering.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort brutele be>