Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 09:55 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > Some major features discussed are not depending on the 3.0 release to be
> > done. But Canvas is one of them. You might want to do an attempt to
> > violently push in a canvas into Gtk sure, but what we're really aiming at is
> > something Clutter like which would give you proper integration. And that
> > cannot be solved without breaking all widgets in various interesting ways.
>
> [ against my better judgment to contribute to this thread, but maybe
>   somebody has a good answer that will enlighten other people as well ]
>
> How does the current GTK+ 3.0 effort help us to get to fundamental
> changes like an integrated canvas?

Moreover, I think its worth noting (again) that while Clutter and the
sketch of "scene graph central to GTK" are both very cool (with Clutter
being here and now, and the scene graph stuff merely imagined), canvas
widgets do not need to aspire to this level of <adjective> to be useful
in a wide variety of applications. Although GTK with a Clutter-like (or
even just Clutter) API at its core would be awesome, GTK with a
supported canvas widget would suit me and many other developers for
quite a while yet.

My observations on the proposals for 3.0 suggest strongly to me that it
is 100% orthogonal to the problem of a good, somewhat adequate canvas
widget, but clearly related to the goal of a scene-graph/Clutter style
core of GTK.