Re: Nautilus splitted-view

Hello, just helping to clarify:

On Feb 13, 2008 12:14 AM, Tuomas Kuosmanen <tuomas kuosmanen gmail com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 12:53 AM, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax gmail com> wrote:
> > Personally I find it useful for two reason:
> > 1 - It is easier to move a file from one place to another
> > 2 - It is easier two compare the content of two directory (e.g. a
> > directory backup that I placed on a cd and the original directory).
>
> How is this any different from having two nautilus windows open side by side?

1. is somewhat different, as split view file managers have lots of
convenient shortcuts for copy/move and more. It's F5 instead of
CTRL-C, (one or more) ALT-TAB, CTRL-V, or one click instead of
dragging (though the cumbersome ways are usually supported as well).

2. is very different. For a few files it may be enough to take a quick
manual look, but for many files or even sub-directories, (some) file
managers with split view has a lot of convenient diff and sync
possibilities that is easy for regular users to use and understand.

> Basically, you already said there would be two location bars. There
> would also need to be two navigation toolbars (up, back, home etc) or
> you would need to introduce a concept of "active" and "passive" side
> view in order to use a common toolbar for both.. So you basically
> would end up with two separate nautilus windows embedded into one
> "master"window.
>
> How is this any different from having two nautilus windows open side by side?

Mainly focus and arrangement problems, just like the Gimp has,
especially if you want to have any other application running and not
have to use separate virtual desktops. There is a lot of annoyance
when having to arrange those two windows and having to activate them
both when having done something else.

It's not a killer feature, it's a convenience thing. I do well without
it, but would do better with it.

80% of what people want with this would probably be accomplished if it
was possible to create a window with two (decoration-less) Nautilus
instances in it, with a splitter between. 90% if that window had a
toolbar with some commands that could control those instances
(example: copy all selected in focused to unfocused). Maybe that is
already possible to do. :)

The worst part about all(?) of those "power" file managers is that
they are like "KDE Emacs" (sorry, sorry but you know what I mean ;))
while a potential GNOME version should stick to common use cases while
still being more powerful/convenient than today.

-- Stoffe