Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] yet another new mockup (meta)

tis 2003-05-13 klockan 00.09 skrev Daniel Borgmann:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 23:23, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > I dont think a CD burning button is that important to have in the main
> > UI actually. I mean.. heh.. I dont burn CDs continously ;)
>
> Ok, this seems to be the most important point now. :) Should this button
> be there or not? I don't think the question is weither we _can_ do it
> (we can!) but weither we _want_ to do it. I think this should be cleared
> before the "perfect" layout can be created. :D

Exactly.

> To tell the truth, I don't even own a CD burner. So I couldn't care less
> about the burn to CD functionality. :) I just thought it would be cool
> to have it there and it could be especially neat for ripping CD's. Throw
> a CD in, hit the button, click, wait, done. :)

Yes, but maybe you burn a CD once a month. I think clicking a menu->Burn
CD is still easy enough, of course it's one click more but hey.. :)
I really don't think we should have something really uncommon like this
in the main ui.

> If this is actually supposed to be one of the purposes of Rhythmbox,
> then I strongly suggest to make it visible from the main UI, otherwise
> it's just too difficult IMO to be even aware of this functionality.

I see rb as a music player and burning cds as a bonus..

> We could also blend in this button at the place where the "Show Browser"
> expander is now (considering that we never need to show both at the same
> time). The advantage of this would be, that there is plenty of space and
> it wouldn't even hurt to use different button sizes (because it wouldn't
> move other elements around). It could also be used for some other tricks
> like "Playlist from Results" after a search was executed. Just some
> ideas...

Hmm.. I think that would be pretty confusing..

> As for placing the volume button to the top right, I really like that
> but there is still the issue that the slider could be mistaken for a
> volume slider. Isn't it a bit weird to have a slider without icon
> besides an icon without a slider which do completely different things
> and are both sliders in fact? ;)

Maybe. Although I think it's fine now.. like.. the volume slider will
clearly pop down out of the volume button, vertically, making its
relation instantly clear imho. And the time slider has a time label
under it so.. well.. I dunno, I'm biased ofcourse ;)