Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] yet another new mockup (meta)

Quoting Jorn Baayen <jorn@nl.linux.org>:
> tis 2003-05-13 klockan 00.09 skrev Daniel Borgmann:
> > To tell the truth, I don't even own a CD burner. So I couldn't care less
> > about the burn to CD functionality. :) I just thought it would be cool
> > to have it there and it could be especially neat for ripping CD's. Throw
> > a CD in, hit the button, click, wait, done. :)
>
> Yes, but maybe you burn a CD once a month. I think clicking a menu->Burn
> CD is still easy enough, of course it's one click more but hey.. :)
> I really don't think we should have something really uncommon like this
> in the main ui.

I think it should be present in the playlist UI, but am not so sure about the
main library view.  The meta-button is a brilliant idea and should be used
(I've never seen iTunes, was it taken from there?).

> > If this is actually supposed to be one of the purposes of Rhythmbox,
> > then I strongly suggest to make it visible from the main UI, otherwise
> > it's just too difficult IMO to be even aware of this functionality.
>
> I see rb as a music player and burning cds as a bonus..

Hmm.  I view rb as what you could think of as a music environment - playing
music from various sources, rip it from CDs, put it on to CDs, and potentially
putting it on and pulling it off portable devices (eg iPod).  netRhythmbox does
a fine job of playing music now - rb should become so much more.

> > As for placing the volume button to the top right, I really like that
> > but there is still the issue that the slider could be mistaken for a
> > volume slider. Isn't it a bit weird to have a slider without icon
> > besides an icon without a slider which do completely different things
> > and are both sliders in fact? ;)
>
> Maybe. Although I think it's fine now.. like.. the volume slider will
> clearly pop down out of the volume button, vertically, making its
> relation instantly clear imho. And the time slider has a time label
> under it so.. well.. I dunno, I'm biased ofcourse ;)

I also like the volume button.  It saves space.  There are so many different
volumes - master, PCM, amplifier, speaker - that having it visible all the time
is not really necessary IMHO.

- James.

--
James Kahn <james@liet.net>