Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 15:19, Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmen carmenbianca eu>

I did however point out that Python has replaced uses of the term
 "master", and we should do the same.

We should. But not all instances of "master" are equally
problematic—that's the main debate here. I don't see anybody here
disagreeing against replacing instances of master that are NOT related
to Git.

Because this has been addressed several times over already. From tonight alone:

This has already been covered in the original proposal under objection (1) "It doesn't matter". As has already been discussed, what actually doesn't matter is what you or I think, it is the people who have been affected by the language we use that matter. These are the people who won't contribute to GNOME because of these terms, and it is the project that loses out in the end.

And:

In any case, if you would care to actually read the diffs on the Python change, you'll see that it covered a number of instances of using another word for "master" when "slave" wasn't involved. It's not the pair of terms that is problematic, it's either term in isolation that is.

It is telling that no one is complaining about replacing uses of "slave" by itself alone.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>