Re: Bugzilla spring cleaning

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 15:52, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > > directly on mailing lists instead of (or in addition to) filing them on
> > > bugzilla ?
>
> No, it means that you should follow up on bugs that you report.  With
> each new major release, report whether it still happens.  If you don't
> want to have to try to remember to follow up, then just wait until you
> get email from bugzilla.  If a bug gets closed because there's been no
> action and the bug still affects you, reopen it and say so.  I know that
> can be annoying from a user point of view, but between a rock and a hard
> place that's the option we're left with.  I'd really like to see greater
> use of the Bug Isolation Project so that we could get out of this bind,
> but until it's in wider use, this is where we're stuck.
>
> The simple fact of the matter is that some bugfixes will correct
> problems seen in tons of bug reports, and that we don't always have
> duplicates marked appropriately (which could be both because of lack of
> manpower and/or lack of enough information to know that they were really
> dups).  I've seen lots of bugs that got fixed in newer versions this
> way.
>
> I know you probably don't like that answer.  I wish I could provide a
> better one.  But I hope that the answer helps some at least.

No, actually I like your answer because that's exactly what I currently
do: file bugs, keep track of them, re-open them if they get closed while
they still affect me. The only part that disturbed me was when Alex said
he would ignore Bugzilla. But I guess (hope) he was just exaggerating a
bit :)

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>